Sunday, December 02, 2018

Advent Begins

Today marks the first Sunday of the Advent Season. To many, this might sounds strange. "Isn't this the Christmas Season?" To be honest, personally I'm not all that bothered what label is put on the season. To most, the word Advent brings to mind calendars with little doors to open and reveal small chocolate treats, or perhaps the lighting of one of 4 or 5 candles in a wreath in church on Sunday morning. Maybe both.

My personal preference (because I know you're wondering) is that I tend to call this time of year the Advent season. For me, this captures the anticipation and longing for, the 'looking-ahead" to the celebration to come.

The word Advent is rooted in the Latin word Adventus, which is itself a translation of the Greek word parousia. Parousia can mean "come near", "return" or "coming presence".

Trust me, I'm not trying to impress you with a language study here. There is a reason to mention how we get the word Advent.

Advent has changed significantly through the history of Christianity. In fact, something I only learned today is that Advent originally began as a season of preparation to baptize new Christians, and had little to do with Christmas at all! (This isn't the point of this post, so if you care to read more, check out https://www.christianity.com/christian-life/christmas/what-is-advent.html) to read more.

The reason I mention this is to perhaps help serve as a reminder that as rich, and as wonderful as the rituals and traditions of this time of year can be for each of us... the rituals and the traditions are not the point. Consider Jesus and what he had to say to the Pharisees, how hard he was on them in so much of what is recorded in the Gospels as to the way they had put ritual and tradition above relationship with God. I mean, they wanted to kill him, because he was messing up their system.

In fact, it may come as a shock to many us as we look at the words we translate as Advent and consider that they point us more towards Jesus' return, than to his birth. I will confess this was quite the mind-shift for me to think about as I read it.

Maybe it would be best if I reign all of this in and explain: In a previous post, I wrote about Christmas carols and hymns and how much I love the richness and theology found in those words. In another I wrote of one of my own, personal traditions. I love to sit in a dark room, with only the tree lights glowing, and be quiet and soak in the peace of that place.

Clearly, I don't have an issue with Christmas traditions or rituals. I LOVE them! In both previous posts I have also stated that these rituals are not the point. The point, is Jesus.

Our rituals can be wonderful, exciting, beautiful and rich. They ought to evoke strong feelings and build a sense of joy and peace. The point though, is that all of these are symbols... signposts, pointing us to Jesus. We don't (or shouldn't) worship signposts.

Imagine in your mind, a person kneeling before the highway off-ramp under the sign that points them to Starbucks.... or maybe that's a little to close to home for some... It would be a misuse, or a missing the point of the sign. But, to see the sign, pull off the highway, and head to get the coffee, would fulfill the intention of the sign.

I mentioned earlier that the word we translate to Advent means coming presence. Naturally, it seems fitting that this anticipation would be for Jesus' birth. That is what we celebrate this time of year as Christians. Yet once again, this has not always been the case. Prior to the middle ages, Advent referred, not to Jesus' birth, but to his return. (Back to that link I gave you above).

So, the Advent season points us to Jesus' imminent return. We follow that season by celebrating Jesus' birth at Christmas. What does it all mean for us as Christians?

I'm not sure I can answer that for you. Perhaps this was simply an odd history lesson and five minutes of your life you won't get back (If that's the case, I'm sorry).

Or maybe it means the party is really on! We get to celebrate Jesus' birth and his imminent return!

This year I am certainly doing both. I am anticipating and looking ahead to Jesus' return. I'm also preparing to celebrate the unfathomable gift of Jesus, come in the flesh, as Mary's baby. This boggles my mind and fills my heart with joy, and hope!

And so, this morning at church we lit the first Advent candle, the hope candle. If Jesus counted us worthy, to come to the earth, shed his unimaginable glory and find himself laying as a helpless baby in a box of straw... live a sinless life and suffer horrendous torture and agonizing death... if that is the value he places on you and I, on all people. Well, then we most certainly can have hope!

As you observe your traditions, or make new ones. As you find yourself getting caught up in this season and what it brings (for good and otherwise), pause... remind yourself not to confuse the signposts for what they point to. Look to Jesus. Remember his birth. Remember his promises to return. Remember hope.

If you don't feel a lot of hope today, you're not alone. Many people struggle with finding hope, joy or peace this time of year. More to come on that in another post. But, one thing I know helps me build up fresh hope when I know it's fading for me is to pass some hope along to someone else.

Take a moment and ask God how He would have you give the gift of hope to someone else who needs it this year. Listen to what He puts before you, and act on it. I can speak from my own experience that nothing gives me hope more than sharing the Story with someone else, and helping them to see that they can have hope too.



No comments:

Post a Comment