Wednesday, March 13, 2019

In, or Out? Why Are We Still Stuck on This?

As I'm currently studying New Testament Theology and History at Seminary, I find myself thinking a lot these days about Paul, his ministry, theology and his understanding of the Gospel and how passionate he was to see it spread as far as possible.

Through my studies, lectures, reading and also some related podcasts I have heard, something has floated to the surface that I find myself thinking about more and more.

I'll start with myself, because I don't intend to finger-point. For most of my life, it has been more natural for me to think about following Jesus from the standpoint of determining if I am in or out? Perhaps I imagine Christianity as a dart board. Is my trajectory putting me "on the board"? I know that seems quite "works-based" and so I recognize that this isn't what it's about. Yet still, how often do I or other Christians, churches, denominations spend our time trying to answer questions about what excludes someone from the Christian community?

This really began to sink in to me when the lead Pastor at my church asked us "What is the bare minimum?" How many Sundays/month make a person a regular attender? How many nights a week at Bible Study or serving at church functions are enough? How much should I really give? What rules do I have to follow? This mostly rhetorical line of questions helped me to understand that this entire way of thinking misses the point entirely. They are simply the wrong questions. Yet I think many, if not all of us ask these questions in some way.

In fact, this is the way Paul himself would have been raised and trained to think. He was on fire with his mission to persecute, arrest and even kill those who threatened his Jewish beliefs by following and proclaiming Jesus as the Messiah. Paul's entire reason for being seemed to be about protecting the boundaries around who was out, and who was in, the Family of God.

But, once Paul encountered the risen Jesus, everything changed. Paul is sent out to carry the Gospel, the Good News that Jesus life, death and resurrection means that everyone who believes is IN. Whatever we do is in response to our salvation and inclusion, not to earn it or maintain it. It's not that we don't act. How can we hear such good news and not respond? It's simply that God's Grace in Jesus has completed our salvation and offered us freely in love, not based on merit.

So what I'm left wondering is: how is it that it seems far more natural to continue to define the boundaries of the "dart board" so we can demonstrate who is in or out? Paul seems to have had little time for this. If you read Galatians, you'll see Paul is more than slightly frustrated with Jewish Christians trying to impose Jewish Law (particularly circumcision and food laws) on Gentile believers. These people were missing the point entirely!

Paul seems to be more interested in talking to anyone who would listen about the fact that they could be in! Jesus is Lord. He has taken care of their sin, secured their forgiveness and salvation and offered this freely, in love, to all people.

It is actually quite remarkable to me that being who Paul was, he goes to meet with the Apostles in Jerusalem (Acts 15:1-35) , and argues his case that if the Gospel is for Jew and Gentile, then it was not right to require Gentile believers to adhere to circumcision and Mosaic Law.

We read that, in response:
After much discussion, Peter got up and addressed them: “Brothers, you know that some time ago God made a choice among you that the Gentiles might hear from my lips the message of the gospel and believe. God, who knows the heart, showed that he accepted them by giving the Holy Spirit to them, just as he did to us. He did not discriminate between us and them, for he purified their hearts by faith. Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of Gentiles a yoke that neither we nor our ancestors have been able to bear? No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are. (v. 7-11)
 The decision is made that the apostles felt it was enough for them to "abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood." (v. 20)

Lately I've been asking myself to honestly pay attention to those people I (usually unintentionally) consider to be outsiders... looking at Paul's example, who are the Gentiles in my mind? What does Paul's ministry to the Gentiles mean for my own life and how I consider those I have seen as outsiders? How refreshing would it be to spend as much, if not more time sharing the truth that all people are to be included through faith in Jesus, as I do in trying to clarify if I, or anyone else, is in or out?

So far I can say this for certain. I'm praying God will help me see where I am missing the point. I'm asking Him to help me shift my thinking to be more and more in line with His will that all people come to know Him through Jesus, and less focused on drawing a line between how I can tell if someone is in, or out. I mean, I already know that judgement isn't mine to make. That job belongs to Jesus, and we can see his judgement of us all, on the Cross.

I'm praying that by the work of his Spirit everyone who follows Jesus will move more and more toward sharing the Gospel that includes and unites people in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment