Friday, April 24, 2020

A Jarring Thought

As I prepare for my next seminary course, History of Christianity II which covers Christian history from 1500 (around the reformation) until today, I read the following quote:
Now everybody hopes to be saved by a superficial faith, without the fruits of faith, without the baptism of trial and tribulation, without love or hope, and without truly Christian practice. - Conrad Grebel
Sometimes it is sad, that we still actually have to say these things out loud. But, then again, it can be a helpful reminder.

I didn't like reading this quote, to be honest. I know nothing if Grebel yet, and it seemed like a pretty scathing indictment of Christians. Then I thought, "this was from the sixteenth century, perhaps we have grown from there and the thought no longer applies..." Unfortunately, if I look honestly at myself much of what is stated in this quote is true of me, in many ways.

No, I don't want my faith to be superficial. But I also don't want trials, tribulations and hard times either. Sure, I want love and hope. But really, how do you have hope, unless you don't have everything you desire? And, while I want to want to have truly Christian practice... if I'm really really honest with myself... I think I'd rather have it without actually practicing or working at it.

So, I think maybe this statement still applies. I know it does in many ways for me. The question is, what will I do about it? I hope and pray, that with God's help I will devote this new season to spending my time in study of His Word, in prayer and Christian fellowship with my family (you know, the people I'm supposed to be discipling and discipled by anyway).

With His help, I hope to do these things, to embrace what may come and to trust Him always. My prayer is that such practice will help me live according to John 15, and that by doing this I will experience the true fruit of the Spirit.

As I think about it, this all makes sense and this quote is growing on me as a reminder and motivation to keep growing in my walk with Christ.

Oh, and disinfectant is for surfaces... not lungs. Sad we have to say that out loud too.

4 comments:

  1. Was Grebel a Protestant or a Catholic? If Protestant, is he saying that without the baptism of trial and tribulation the faith is superficial? The things that happened in the 1500's in the name of religion are truly horrific. It will be a tough read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good response, and thank you for posting. To be honest, I have only read the quote this far, but my guess is Protestant. I think he is saying we should not expect to have accepted Christ, and punched our ticket for a smoother ride. I actually don't believe many people, Christian or not, get entirely safe passage on this journey. Why should we expect different. Jesus sure didn't. In my hardest, most unwelcome periods of my life, I have experienced more of God's love than any other time. Your comment about the 1500s is true, and I know nothing of Grebel or his character. The quote just stopped me in my tracks. But, the same could be said about the 300s, 100s, 1400s, 1900s and so on. It doesn't render the quote invalid. At the same time you are right. I expect this course to be challenging and often frustrating. The course covering the first 1500 years sure was. I expect there is a reason that we do 1500 in course one, and only 500 in course two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was asking if he was protestant or catholic, because in the early 1500's I believe the inquisition began focusing on protestants in earnest in continental Europe, though Queen Elizabeth was Protestant. The context of "trials and tribulations" would be very grave indeed coming from a protestant at that time. It's interesting how statements can mean different things to different people depending on where they are in their own life journeys. I don't believe that invalidates how the quote is interpreted for each person though. But context can add new perspectives.

    I would assume that the course covering the first 1500 years AD covered a longer time period because change moved so much slower during that period. Around 1500 the printing press came about, and then change started to quicken it's pace!

    For me, studying the history of religion put religion in an entirely different perspective. To refer to a different quote: "Without religion you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." It's amazing how religion has been one of, if not the central, forming factor of our human societies for millennia. But for me the most jarring experiences of taking a closer look at the history of religion, is that it took the supernatural out of it. It was a difficult journey for me. Now my journey is figuring out how I feel about that, and how to share that respectfully with my friends. For me, history added quite a different context and perspective than I had before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like Jesus would fully endorse your perspective on religion. He went after the religious leaders HARD. History has very much added a different context and lens for my faith as well. The character of Christ, and his self-sacrificial love has cemented for me the truth of the Gospel. History has also cemented for me how badly humanity needs the example of Christ. Our religious traditions, when they become more important than loving others and replace genuine humility, become dangerous and often deadly. Jesus led by example. Unfortunately his followers have a long history of not following his lead.

    Oh, and Grebel was not only protestant, but he didn't feel the early protestants were going far enough. He was more protestant than protestant!

    ReplyDelete