Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Christmas Carols: More Than Pretty Tunes

As we head into the Advent Season, preparing for and anticipating the coming of Christmas, I've been reflecting on the power of the songs we sing this time of year.

I'm a sucker for Christmas music. I love it. Sure, songs about reindeer, Frosty, snow and Silver Bells are nice. And really, anything Bing Crosby simply fills my heart with peace. What a voice!

But I'm talking more specifically about Christian Christmas Carols. As I've grown as a Christian and spent time studying theology and history in Seminary, I've noticed how rich, amazing and powerful the words of these songs truly are.

In this post, I want to look particularly at the words of O Holy Night. I was listening to it this afternoon and I was struck with awe and worship and what this song has to say. Perhaps the most moving words of this hymn for me are found in the line:

"Long lay the world in sin and error pining
Till He appeared and the soul felt its worth"

The Old Testament is a record of humanity and Israel, their separation from God and His longing for restored relationship with us. The second line, mentioned above gives me goosebumps. In a world where people often seem lost, unloved and lonely, We sing of our value to Jesus. Jesus values us: you, me, so much that he set aside heaven and all of his glory and became one of us, with the intention living a sinless life, dying an agonizing and cruel death on the cross (inflicted by human beings, those he came to save) and rise from the grave, forever defeating the power of sin and death!

We are worth it! God saw us as so valuable that He did this much to restore our relationship with Him. In that simple line "Till He appeared, and the soul felt its worth" we are singing of our infinite value to our eternal Heavenly Father. What a powerful message!

Truly, Christmas represents, as the song says, "A new and glorious morn".

The next verse is just as rich. I'll highlight a few key phrases.

"Truly He taught us to love one another
His law is love and His gospel is peace
Chains He shall break
For the slave is our brother
And in His Name
All oppression shall cease
Sweet hymns of joy
In grateful chorus raise we
Let all within us praise His holy Name"

I mean... I could have highlighted the whole verse. But, take some time to ponder all of this. I feel this song is wonderfully relevant today. As you enter into t his season, think about your own walk with Jesus, think about our world and the brokenness we see all around us. As Christians, in light of this amazing message, how will we live? Think about our leaders, both in and out of the church. We are to pray for them, so how will we pray? 

As the season unfolds, pay attention to the familiar carols we sing. Ponder their words and reflect on them. They are some of the richest and most powerful words outside of the Bible, that ought to shape our actions as Christians. Listen to these songs as though you've never heard them before, and prepare to be amazed!

Wishing all of you a new perspective on the wonder of Christmas this year!








No comments:

Post a Comment