This question has been on my mind for a very long time. Within the past year it has taken up more and more of my focus as I read, study and research, trying to grow in my own walk with Christ and sort out how to be an effective pastor, following what God has called me to do.
I recognize that by even posting this question in my blog, I may very well be wading in WAY over my head. I know that there are many people I know who would respond to this question by saying "no church at all". I hear that voice, and I understand what you mean. I disagree... but I get your point.
I know that even within circles of Jesus-following people, there is much disagreement about this very question, and has been for a very long time. I suspect, as Ecclesiastes tells us "There is nothing new under the sun." and so this question is far from unique to history.
Over the past twenty years, I've heard many Christians call for a return to the "1st Century Church". (assuming they know what that actually would have looked like, or have the stomach for it). Or maybe an "Acts 2 Church". I certainly understand the attraction. Through the faithful witness and teaching of the Apostles, the church experienced miraculous and exponential growth, sometimes in a single day (Acts2:41 for example). That kind of growth is exciting and inspiring. But I'm not sold.
Lately I've been studying Old Testament History, and this semester I'm looking at New Testament History and I've noticed something. Similar to the 1st century Ancient Near East (ANE) world, the Jewish people during and after the exile lived in a vastly multicultural and pluralistic society. The ruling powers made space and accommodation for a multitude of faiths and belief systems, so long as they didn't disrupt the status-quo (sound familiar?). So, there may be just as much (perhaps even more) to learn from the exilic and post-exilic Israelite people.
Look at what God says to His people through His prophet Jeremiah:
“Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce. Marry and have sons and daughters; find wives for your sons and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too may have sons and daughters. Increase in number there; do not decrease. Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.” - Jeremiah 29:5-7
God, through Abraham, called the people of Israel to be His people, and He destined them to carry the message of salvation to all nations. The Israelites had turned from that mission and isolated themselves from all other people, effectively denying the mission God had given them to carry out. Now they find themselves in a culture that cares little to nothing for their beliefs, and they are trying to figure out how to engage, and bless this world they live in, while maintaining their identity and calling as God's chosen people. Again...sound familiar?
God repeatedly did the impossible for, and through His people. Why? So that they (and all nations) would "know that He is the LORD". This phrase is found 68 times in the NIV version of the Bible. God desires to be known, and His primary means of being known was to be in and through His people.
But, I digress... sort of. I say all of that because, while I see much of value, and much to be learned from both periods of history, I'm not convinced either is the answer to the question of what kind of church Canada needs. I think the answer really is that Canada needs a 21st Century Canadian Church.
Profound I know... and it gets worse... You see, if you follow that up with the obvious question "What does such a church look like?" I have even fewer answers. But I do know that people are working on this. In particular I would point you to The New Leaf Network who are doing tremendous work in this area.
For myself, as I wrestle with, and pray about, this question. What it means for me as a pastor, and what it means for Christians and churches. I humbly offer the following thoughts:
Perhaps, we need to ask 21st Century Canadians what kind of church they need.
Perhaps we need to be a church that helps people know who God is. That He desires relationship with them.
Perhaps we need to listen to skeptics and non-believers and take seriously their issues, misconceptions, and even the things they might have right (and in some cases they do have it right) about the church.
Perhaps we, as Christians need to stop being noticed for the wrong reasons.
Jesus doesn't need PR people. He doesn't need to be sold. Jesus wants people to be in relationship with him. When we are in relationship with, and following Jesus... (you know, the kind of thing that was going on in Acts 2...) then people will notice us. They will notice us for the right reasons. But we need to pray, study and ask God what this means, what it looks like in the 21st century.
By all means, learn all you like about the 1st century church, or Israel trying to exist in exile or after their return from Babylon. If you find something useful, then use it!
I wish I could say I had real, helpful, answers. I'm trying to get there. But in writing this post, my hope is to start some helpful, positive dialogue. I'd love to hear from Jesus followers, skeptics, atheists, agnostics and everyone in between.
What do you think? Our world, our media, our social media... they are all filled with everyone's opinion, and then on top of that, everyone else's opinion about why everyone else is wrong. That isn't what I'm looking for.
I don't want to hear why someone thinks someone else has it wrong.
I'd love to see more inclusion, more respect, more love for those who think differently in my media feeds and my conversations. If our world is all about why you are wrong, and I am right... and if the church is called to be counter to our culture, or to make God known in our culture... then this concept ought to be a no-brainer. The counter-cultural thing to do would be to see the positives in the positions we don't agree with. To respect the people saying them, and to ask more questions and try to better understand.
Doing that doesn't somehow mean you are compromising your Christian values... If I read Jesus right, then what tit means is that we are trying to love people, even perhaps our enemies. (He did say something about that, didn't he?) Listen more, rage and gnash our teeth less. Find something anything that can be a common ground or starting point to dialogue with those who believe differently than you. Get to know them, understand the world through their eyes. Show them you care, because Jesus cares for you.
Most of the people Jesus associated with didn't fit the kind of integrity, character and morality that he perfectly lived out (look it up, don't take my word for it). But, he spent time with them, he ate with them, he loved them... and they loved him back!
Lord help me, help us all, to be more like that.
No comments:
Post a Comment