This past Sunday I had the privilege to preach to a group of people at the building my mom lives in. They are older people and many of them are unable to get out to their own churches regularly, so instead they've decided to host a non-denominational worship service once a month right in their own building and they ask a few different pastors to come and to preach at their services.
So, last week, I was asked if I would come and preach and I chose Titus 3:1-11 as the text to preach from. Or rather, God drew me to this passage. As I examined this short letter from Paul to Titus, I was almost astounded about the simplicity of the Gospel message that Paul was encouraging this dynamic, young pastor serving in a difficult ministry to preach.
Ever since I started preaching, I've been amazed at how often the message I feel drawn to, is a message God wants me to hear, just as much as He may want those I'm speaking to, to hear.
In Titus 3, we find perhaps one of the simplest statements of what it means to follow Jesus and what we are called to do. In the NIV Bible, the heading of this chapter is Saved in Order to to Good. Paul begins with the following lines:
"Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and always to be gentle toward everyone."
From there, Paul reminds his audience (Titus and his church):
"At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life."That certainly resonates with my story, and where I was at before I took the call to follow Jesus very seriously.
I am amazed at both the simplicity of this message, and also by the human inability to accept such simple direction.
On the one hand, we are saved (that's with a 'd'... past tense) once we accept Jesus by faith and choose to follow him.
On the other hand, our (at least my own) human nature starts to look for the catch, or the loophole... the fine print that I'm missing. We live in a skeptical culture that tells us "if it's too good to be true, it probably is." And, the thing is that's actually a reasonably wise saying by human standards. However, in this case... it really is that good, and that simple!
Admittedly, Christians throughout the ages (myself included) have not done a good job of keeping it simple. But, Paul say to Titus, very clearly
"I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone."When I read that statement, I'm reminded of a note I have seen on the desk of a Jesus follower who has been a part of my story at various points along the way. I love this phrase. It simply reads "Love God, Love Others, Do Stuff." I mean, it doesn't get more simple than that.
God desires relationship with us, and as an overflow of that relationship He desires that our relationships with others would reflect His love for us, and for all people.
Verse four and five I feel, make clear a particularly important point that drives this home:
"But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit"We didn't, don't, and simply can't get ourselves "cleaned up" so to speak in order to be made presentable to God . We live as broken people, living in a broken world. And often, we get this first point wrong. We try to do the work God has already done, without Him, before we come to Him.
But, if I'm getting what Paul is saying here... that entire concept is missing the point entirely. God sent Jesus and through our relationship with him, saves us. Not because of who we are, or what we've done, or might do, but because of His Mercy, Kindness and Love.
But, we get into trouble. We simply can't let it be that simple. In fact, part of me pausing my writing for awhile was to consider the fact that I'm prone to something Paul provides a strong warning against in verses 9-11.
"But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless. Warn a divisive person once, and then warn them a second time. After that, have nothing to do with them. You may be sure that such people are warped and sinful; they are self-condemned." (Emphasis mine).
The word Paul uses for the divisive person, is αἱρετικός (aihretikos). It's the Greek word for heretic, and this is the only place in scripture this word is used. Paul isn't pulling any punches, or using kid gloves here. He has no patience for anyone who would stir up division within the church community.
This hits me hard, I love a good debate. I try, and am usually pretty good at respecting those I don't fully agree with on some doctrinal issue or theological point. At the same time, it is not unheard of, for such discussions to become quarrels, quarrels to become arguments, and arguments to become division. How do you think the church, the Body of Christ, became so fractured over the past 2000 years?
We just can't keep it simple.
For quite some time it was claimed that there were 30,000+ Protestant denominations in the world. That claim has been debunked (See here). The number is closer to 8,100.
Quite frankly though, when I consider Jesus' prayer in John 17:20-23, praying for unity among those who follow him, it feels like there might as well be 30,000.
If we agree that Jesus is who he says he is, and that through faith in him, everyone can receive the gift of life eternal, starting today. Then I ten to agree pretty strongly with the words of John Wesley: "But as to all opinions which do not strike at the root of Christianity, we think and let think” (Emphasis mine).
Please don't hear me wrong, proper thinking about God, sound doctrine and solid theology do matter. If you know me, you know I care deeply for these things. But they can easily become the kinds of arguments and divisive elements that Paul is warning Titus and his church about. Grace must be the beginning, middle and end of any conversation that we don't agree on.
Personally, I think that part of the reason this matters so much to Paul, and to our faith is that it is directly linked to the Third Commandment "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD your God in vain." For much of my life, I've understood that to be a commandment about cursing, or swearing. I know I'm not alone.
As I've written previously, God cares a great deal about His name, His character and His reputation. God wants to be known to the world, through His people. The commandment against taking God's name in vain, could often better be understood as: Do not misrepresent God. Do not drag His name through the mud. Don't damage His character by your actions.
When the body of Christ becomes divided, and fractures or when we misrepresent God in any way, the world notices (and they should). When they notice, our testimony looses power because it reflects less of God's character, and more of our brokenness and our lack of ability to love as we have been commanded. We represent God's name, in vain.
Perhaps the most counter-cultural, Christ like thing we can do, is keep it simple in a complicated world. Love God, Love People, Do Stuff.
Let people see us loving each other, loving them, being kind, gentle and merciful to everyone. That's what God has done for us, and what He desires we would do for the world. It's that simple, no catch.
In a culture that teaches us to trust no one, question everything and that nothing is ever that simple... how much more counter-cultural can you get?
No comments:
Post a Comment