I'm sure I'm not alone. Since the beginning of this pandemic, rather since it changed our collective lives where I live, I've been hearing the word unprecedented over and over again. We hear it on the news, on social media and wherever we find public discourse. We also hear it quite frequently in our (online) church services and (online) small group meetings, etc.
To be honest, for the first while, especially in conversations with other Christians I have been somewhat reluctant to think that what is happening is somehow new or unprecedented. Sure, for most of us this is not something we have experienced. At the same time, humanity as well as Christianity (and other faiths) have experienced mass disruption and isolation, been quarantined and forbidden to meet for worship or entertainment several times throughout our collective history. As the author of Ecclesiastes likes to point out "There is nothing new under the sun". A cheery guy, I know.
With all of that in mind though, I do believe that the word unprecedented is perhaps more applicable than I wanted to admit. Just not for the reason(s) you might think.
Here's what I mean:
Something within us resonates and recoils against the restrictions that have been placed on us. As Christians (in agreement with the Jewish and Muslim faiths) when we are ordered to refrain from gathering to worship, we might recall the stories of Daniel to mind (or other terrible episodes from our past). When political powers infringe on our freedom (and duty) to worship, especially together then they have gone too far and this becomes something cannot bear. Many, if not most faiths hold collective memories of oppression and discrimination to varying degrees (this post is not in any way meant to compare such episodes, that would be unhelpful and miss my point entirely).
What does seem to be unprecedented however is the fact that in this particular case, obeying the common order to remain in isolation might actually be the best way to honour God and love and serve others. That actually does sound unprecedented.
As a Christian I am saddened and frustrated when I see the media or those on social media covering another story about churches or seminaries defying the orders to isolate and protect each other. They will argue that we are called to come together and to worship in community, to not fear and to trust that God will protect us. It seems they want us to worship a God who is so small that His power and love is somehow diminished if a group of human beings don't congregate and risk countless lives.
I personally believe God is bigger than that and (as we are reminded on Palm Sunday) if the people don't worship God, the rocks will. I also believe that God is protecting us, by providing wisdom and scientific study and expertise to inform how we limit the spread of this disease. When God provides, it is usually unwise to cast His provision aside...
My point is this: our scriptures and our histories tell us about countless seasons of persecution and oppression. As soon as we hear rumblings of our freedom being limited, our minds recall these events. We should also recall that the church typically THRIVES in seasons of restriction and oppression. God's power is made evident in our weakness!(I digress).
Beyond that, those memories might be getting in the way for some of us. We are not being oppressed or persecuted (at least not by powers and authorities) (stop, and read that again if necessary. Say it out loud with me if you need). We are being asked to self-isolate, along with everyone else in our society, to love and protect our neighbors, and the most vulnerable among us. Scripture has much to say about those concepts, does it not?
Friends, stay home, stay safe and worship God in word and in deed. God is not honoured by flashy public prayer, worship lasers and fog machines, or blatant disregard for public health and safety (Don't hear that wrong, the first two: corporate prayer and public worship are both God-honouring and very meaningful). God is not impressed by our showy displays and our self-serving observance of a day of worship. God is far more interested in a worship that puts Him first, and His command to love one another ahead of our own insecurities about whether or not it's ok to stay home on Sunday morning. Isaiah 58 should help put this into some perspective. Most importantly, true God honouring, neighbour-loving worship leads to restoration and peace.
As God speaks through Isaiah, and describes what worship that truly honours Him looks like, instead of serving our own fears and insecurities at the expense of others, we read:
Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness[a] will go before you,
and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.
For me, I feel like self-isolating and worshiping at home with my family for this season fits much easier into this image God has given us, than does encouraging people to come together in reckless defiance of a public health order (an order )aimed at saving as many lives as possible based on our best understanding. I honestly think that the foolishness of calling people to risk lives and gather together is a fear-based approach that grasps for familiarity and comfort (self-interest), masked by a facade of false courage and "faith" that God places public expressions of worship above love and care for the health of His creatures.
He doesn't.
Not convinced? Re-read Isaiah 58. Read the prophet Amos. Read Jesus. I am confident you will discover that, while God desires and is worthy of our worship and praise, He places greater emphasis on our hearts and motives for doing so. Still not convinced?
Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you,leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift. - Matt. 5:23-24
I'm pretty sure my brother or sister will have something against me if I'm part of a communal activity that risks the lives of countless others.
I wish the media would report on the countless churches and communities learning to practice their faith in new and unfamiliar ways, reaching out in safe, yet effective ways that would have been nearly impossible even 5 weeks ago. The vast, vast majority of churches are accepting responsibility for their neighbourhoods by agreeing to stay home and stop the spread of this disease. Honouring God by doing our part to limit and prevent the suffering of others. But, we can't base our image on the media. We have to own that ourselves.
The day will come (and I can't wait for it to arrive!) when we are able to come together again and enjoy worshiping God as one congregation. But let us not be led to believe that in this season we are somehow less a part of the Body of Christ by loving others and staying home.
So, what is unprecedented (perhaps) is that loving God oddly enough means obeying the call for isolation and distance ordered by our government(s). This time, loving others and trusting God means taking part in this directive. Maybe it feels strange, I get that. But last time I checked, the unprecedented usually does. It makes us clamor for familiar and comfortable things. Meaning I understand the instinct to push back against the call to stay home from church.
Worship is better in community and communion. I agree. But only when it is wrapped in love and focused on God instead of our fears and needs.
Until that is once again possible: (to borrow from something I have read on my Bishop's desk) Love God. Love Others. Stay Home. Stay Safe. Do Stuff. (italics mine)
No comments:
Post a Comment