Saturday, March 21, 2020

So, I've been thinking...

So, I've been thinking.... Shocking, I know! If nothing else, this unsettling time has imposed perhaps unwanted opportunities for our minds to wander, ponder and even spiral into places we'd rather they didn't go. If you know me (and my wife would support this statement) too much free time to think can be a dangerous thing for me if left unchecked.

Returning here to my blog offers a welcome, and hopefully productive and helpful outlet for the ideas and ramblings piling up in my head. 

Full disclosure: I'm largely doing this for myself and my own sanity, but if it helps someone or if anything I write here resonates with you, I'm glad and I'd love to engage with you further.

Before I go too far, I have realized that many of my thoughts might implicitly say things I don't intend. So, allow me to clarify some things I'm NOT saying, before I get to what I am. I will trust you to hold these in mind as you read further.

I'm not saying that COVID-19, or social-distancing or any of the fallout related to these are good things. They are not punishments from God, karma or or whatever else might come to mind. There may be some cause and effect at play, but I do not feel that pointing the finger at an person, group or deity is helpful or realistic. This is simply the situation we are living in. What is potentially good or evil, is how we respond.

I'm also not saying that it is wrong or bad to live as a part of whatever society we find ourselves in. Let's face it, if you're reading this, there is a reasonable chance you live as a part of the relatively wealthy population of the world (1st world, Western, or North American society... whatever the right term for that is) and that shapes much of how you and I think, act and respond and also shapes the things that create worry and stress in our lives. All I'm saying is, we need to step back and examine our worldview in light of this reality.

Ok, so what am I saying?

Let's find out together...

I've been thinking about several things. Not the least of which is... I find it interesting to look at the things people are worried about right now, and why.

Take toilet paper for example. Why did this particular emergency send people in droves to their marketplace, to panic buy all of the toilet paper? Did someone in the TP industry plant a seed that took off in a way even they couldn't have imagined? What was the initial thought that equated a respiratory disease pandemic with toilet paper? Of course, I become far more understanding once news that TP supply is running out quick. As soon as we realized that others were buying it all up, simple economics dictates that we also have to try to get some for ourselves or risk not being able to practice this most basic element of hygiene. Now, even though the supply chain of TP is not at risk in any way... you just can't find it on the shelves. One wonders how you undo this situation?

Of course, in the grand scheme of things TP is a far less critical issue than we might feel it is. In fact, I think that in our relative wealth and comfort many things seem far more crucial than perhaps they should. I've been wrestling with our desire (and perhaps many of us feel it is a right) to be entertained, or to have someone entertain our kids. I'm wrestling with it, because I feel it too. I'm sure most of us have seen and resonated with the (genuinely funny) memes about kids struggles to get along, or parents suddenly having infinitely more respect for teachers and day care providers now that they are faced with the reality of having their kids around all day.

I live in Ontario, Canada. In response to the concerns of parents and families that our children may somehow fall behind or lose progress in their education (admittedly for high school students, especially in their last year this is a real issue) the government has announced some ways to help kids and families keep going and has provided access to helpful content. More to come if the current situation requires more isolation measures. But, as I looked at the steps taken, I realized something. They really didn't do much, and that's ok! They simply took what's already there... re-organized it a little, and reminded us where to find it.

I'm in no way criticizing what has been done. In fact, I might be applauding it. Let me explain. For almost ALL of human history, the education and social preparation of a child has been primarily the job of their parents/families. Arguably this remains to be the norm in almost all of the world's population except for those of us who happen to have been born into a context where public education is a value and a reality. At the same time, we have become so accustomed to this blessing, that we now consider it a right and an entitlement.  In fact, we recoil at the idea that we are responsible for our kid's education. Don't believe me? Even thirty years ago, (when I was a kid) if I misbehaved at school, it was bad enough to get in trouble from my teacher, but far FAR worse for word to get home that I had misbehaved. But, I'm sure all of us have heard of, experienced or even *gasp* been that parent who, when told of poor behaviour at school, immediately assigns blame to the teacher as if they are the ones primarily responsible to instill manners and values in our children.

Certainly educators are (in part) responsible to re-enforce social responsibility, manners and respect for others. I'm simply suggesting that maybe the first place these lessons must be learned is at home. We have become such a busy society, that we simply do not have time to teach life lessons, and to put in the required time and energy to correct habits and behaviours that have emerged as a result of our busy-ness. 

Of course, teachers and educators are the ones trained, and who have chosen to (literally) make it their business to educate our children. I am so thankful for this. They are far better equipped than I am and I feel it is my/our job to support them and to trust them if we want our kids to be educated and benefit from their training. I'm simply pointing out that 'universal' education has not been the norm for most of our human history. So, when faced with a temporary disruption, rather than panic perhaps we might pick up some of the responsibility at home.

If you are a Christian and a parent, there is a similar process at play here too. I grew up in a world where the primary source of Christian education was to be found on Sunday morning in my Sunday School class. Sure, my parents believed in Jesus and lived out their faith. But, they were not equipped or taught that they were responsible for MY faith journey. Their job was to bring me to church. I'm not criticizing that either. I'm glad they did.

At the same time, for decades now Christian parents have been vocalizing their concern over the trend of adult children falling away from the faith of their youth. As a parent, this can be a terrifying prospect. What is the answer? Well, I'm not arrogant enough to pretend I have the answer. But I do have some thoughts and questions.

Will our kids have a more solid foundation in their faith, if we increase the programs and events at church that they can attend? (I'm skeptical of this, because if we are already too busy to teach them at home, will we really find time to add more programs into their (our) schedule?) Or, is our own example and willingness to engage with our kid's faith, hear their questions and work with them to find real answers likely to produce a more solid and grounded faith journey of their own?

I think most adults realize that what happens on Sunday morning in our services is only useful if we take home what we've heard the preacher say about a portion of Scripture, and apply it to how we live going forward (at least I hope we do). So, why should our kids be different? Furthermore... Sunday morning makes up such a small percentage of our week. We have exponentially more time (I hope) with our kids, than their Sunday school teachers do. Who is better positioned to impact the daily lives of our kids than we are? Who has a better chance of providing a meaningful and robust example of how to live one's faith? I'll leave you with The opening words of Deuteronomy 6 as you reflect on those questions:

These are the commands, decrees and laws the Lord your God directed me to teach you to observe in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess, so that you, your children and their children after them may fear the Lord your God as long as you live by keeping all his decrees and commands that I give you, and so that you may enjoy long life. Hear, Israel, and be careful to obey so that it may go well with you and that you may increase greatly in a land flowing with milk and honey, just as the Lord, the God of your ancestors, promised you.
Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[a] Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates. (emphasis mine)
I have to notice the lack of any mention of taking our kids to a place where someone else teaches them while we do our own thing. It's not wrong to do that and I admire, respect and value the people who lovingly and passionately give of their time to teach my/our kids about Jesus. Some people are way better equipped to teach than we are. But, that doesn't release us from this command either.

Shifting gears, as I look at social and traditional media, and the stories and memes people are sharing as we come to terms with this new reality, I'm seeing something unexpected, perhaps.

It seems to me, that in many ways we have assumed that being human is inherently not good. Or, that at our base, are scary and unpleasant tendencies and instincts that are not desirable or good for 'civilized' people to express. When someone falls from grace, or displays a huge moral failure, we are often tempted to note that "they are only human", as if our humanity requires an apology.

As I watch how we as a species are responding to this situation we find ourselves in, I see our humanity being displayed in a myriad of positive examples.Yes, I see the unfortunate examples of greed and exploitation going on too... price gouging on hand sanitizer, buying up medical masks and selling them for a profit, scam calls preying on COVID-19 fears. 

But, I also see a vast majority of people calling for mercy, grace and social justice. Condemning those who take advantage, banding together in communities and neighborhoods to help those who are under self-quarantine to ensure they are able to get the food and provisions they need, spreading news of places to get help and support, etc. I am even impressed to see corporations and business mobilizing to help by easing costs and deferring payments while people are struggling, or by changing their business and the products they produce to help increase the effort to ensure people can access what they need, and also ensuring people have jobs to provide for their own families.

I see more good coming out of our humanity today than I do evil. I also sense that this response has little, if anything to do with "what's in it for me?" or with the idea of moral desert, but rather it seems like we are seeing people care for one another or do good things, simply because they are good things to do. As a Christian, I believe this is the state God created for us to live in. No, not through our response to a crisis, but as our natural state of being.

As I said above, I don't believe this virus is good. But I see in our response in large part, a better reflection of our true humanity. Christians believe that all people are created in the image of God. The image has been distorted by evil and our corruption, but it's still there. It seems that in times of true crisis, we do revert to our human nature... not by expressing self-interest and looking out for number one, but by caring for humanity and our world. I'm starting to wonder if looking out for number one is what we do when we are too comfortable? Take the comfort a way, and something else emerges. Something better, and more human than we expected.

Ok, if you're still with me, I'm sorry this is so long and I need to stop for now. But, maybe we could all pay attention to how we learn and grow during this time. What if we took notes and kept track of how we adapt to this? What would it look like if the practices and changes we put into place remained even after this is all over and we're allowed to return to gathering together, going to work, back to school and rejoining our faith communities? Practically speaking, how often have we heard (or said) that it is impossible to bring about the changes necessary to do something about pollution and climate change? Yet here we are in the face of a crisis, doing exactly what we have claimed would not be possible?

Participating in this new reality isn't optional. So, what if we make some of the changes permanent? What if we make space to re-accept our own responsibilities, and make time to take them seriously? What if we leverage our privilege and wealth to benefit others always, rather than just in times of crisis?

I'd love to engage with anyone who has thoughts or ideas along these lines... OR if I'm way off base and you want to help me with that, reach out on that front too. Either way, let's talk and find ways to be humans better, together.






No comments:

Post a Comment