I'll pose my thoughts in the form of a question. As an example: What does it mean to you that Jesus, as he hung dying on the cross, cried out to God saying "Father forgive them, they don't know what they are doing"? (Luke 23:34)
The idea being; I'd love to hear your thoughts or, at the very least encourage you to ponder and sit with the question before reading my own thoughts on the subject. With that in mind, the question above is not the question for this post. I'd simply encourage you to contemplate, pray and ponder what it means to you that Jesus asked God to forgive his murderers because they didn't know what they were doing. We'll come back to this question in another post.
The question for this post is:
What does it mean to you that Proverbs 6:24-25 says:
Does this mean the bible contradicts itself, and can't be trusted? Does this mean that the author of this proverb is confused? Does it mean that sometimes scripture isn't meant to be taken literally, but requires the reader to ask God for wisdom and discernment when reading and applying scripture? What does it mean to you?"Do not answer a fool according to his folly,or you yourself will be just like him.Answer a fool according to his folly,or he will be wise in his own eyes."?
(This is the part where you take a break, pray, reflect and then (if you're brave) post a reply and let others know what you think.)
For what it's worth, my opinion is that this (and other apparent contradictions in the Bible), makes it clear that God gave us rational minds and expects us to use them. I don't feel that this is a contradiction at all, to be honest. I feel like the point here is that wisdom requires discernment and insight into the situations and unique individuals we encounter in life.
Answering a fool according to his folly, or not answering a fool... this is a binary choice. They are mutually exclusive choices. Choosing to do do one, automatically means choosing not to do the other. (This is why some consider these passages to be contradictory).
My opinion is that there is wisdom in both statements. Sometimes, if I respond to a person's foolishness I risk appearing foolish right along side them. Sometimes, if I don't respond to a person's foolishness, they will think themselves wise and not learn from their foolishness, which could potentially be harmful to themselves or others in the future.
What this passage means to means to me is that, I need God to help me discern which choice it the most appropriate (and loving) in the situation I'm encountering. This passage points to maturity. The kind of maturity that comes from living life and understanding that what is helpful and builds up in one situation, might be harmful and tear down in another.
Does this mean that we should discount the Bible because it can't give us a black and white choice? (I don't think so... life is often very contradictory itself). Does it mean it is hopeless and we can never understand? (I don't think this either... we're not alone and we can ask for help and direction from God and from others) Does it mean God intends us to use His word to grow, and to learn and to trust His wisdom and learn to apply it correctly in each situation we encounter? (I think we might be getting warmer!)
The Bible is filled with interesting points like this one that ought to stop us and point us toward asking for help to understand and live out what we read. Consider that Paul himself spoke out against the circumcision of Gentile believers, and then had Timothy circumcised... or that other places in Proverbs we read that accepting bribes is wrong (Proverbs 19:6), then that a bribe can be helpful (Proverbs 17:8). What about the fact that Paul say he does not permit a woman to teach (1 Timothy 2:12) Yet Scripture clearly demonstrates that Paul had women serving in high leadership positions all over the churches in his day. (Acts 16:11-15, Acts 18:24-26, Romans 16:6-7, 1 Corinthians 1:11, Colossians 4:15)
I think the Bible demands we grow in understanding and wisdom, we ask God for help and we find out all we can about our faith.
What do you think?
No comments:
Post a Comment